Queen's Royal Park
View Larger Map
Queens Royal Park in Niagara-on-the-Lake is located off Ricardo Street along the bank of the Niagara River, where the Niagara River empties into Lake Ontario.
The park commands fantastic views of historic Fort Niagara in Youngstown, New York to the east as well as Lake Ontario.
A gazebo is the highlight of the park. This gazebo was erected for the movie "The Dead Zone" with Christopher Walken in the 1980's. After the movie finished filming the gazebo was donated to the town.
Queens Royal Park was originally the site of the Queen's Royal Hotel. Built in 1868, the beautiful and elegant Queen's Royal was known as one of the best hotels in North America. It was the site of many social gatherings for wealthy tourists from Canada, the United States and abroad.
In 1901, anticipating a royal visit, the Hotel installed acetylene gas lamps to light the rooms. Unfortunately, on October 12, when the future King George V and Queen Mary were guests at the Hotel the gas leaked, forcing the Royal party to sit on the verandah until 3 a.m.
A decline in tourism led to the hotel's demolition in 1930. The town then bought the property and built the park we see today.