Fort Mississauga is located at the mouth of the Niagara River. Today Fort Mississauga is located on the grounds of the Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club. A pedestrian trail starts at the corner of Simcoe and Front streets and leads to the fort.
The fort consists of a box–shaped brick tower and historic star–shaped earthworks—the only one of its kind in Canada. The fort was built by the British with bricks from the buildings that had been destroyed by American troops.
When the British first arrived on the west bank of the Niagara River they were met with a tribe of Indians that had a head camp at this location. These Indians, although seeming to be a faction of the Neutrals were called the Mississaugas. In 1804, a lighthouse was erected at the site, which had become known as Mississauga Point. This was the first lighthouse on the Great Lakes, but was dismantled in 1814 to make way for Fort Mississauga, which incorporated stone from the lighthouse.
There are no visitor facilities or services at Fort Mississauga, and for safety reasons the public must remain on the marked trail at all times until inside the fort. The public must allow golfers to complete their shots before proceeding, and look carefully to ensure that the way is clear. No bicycles, scooters, roller blades, skateboards, or other vehicles are allowed.
A sign at the gate to the fort states there is "no trespassing from 9:00 p.m. - 6 a.m."
Fort Mississauga is a National Historic Site of Canada. Admission to the site is free.