Simcoe Park, located in the beautiful town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, was named after John Graves Simcoe (February 25, 1752 – October 26, 1806) who was the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada from 1791-1796.
Simcoe Park is located at the corner of Queen and King Street. Simcoe Park offers a wading pool, washroom facilities, bandshell, picnic tables and playground equipment.
A plaque inside Simcoe Park bears this inscription:
"FIRST LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF UPPER CANADA The first session of the Legislative Assembly held at Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake), 17 September to 15 October 1792, introduced a limited form of representative government to the newly created province of Upper Canada.
The elected assembly formed part of the first legislature under the administration of John Graves Simcoe, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada. Statutes of the first session established English property and civil law, and trial by jury. In 1797 the seat of government was moved to York (Toronto). Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada"