The Niagara Pumphouse
The Niagara Pumphouse was built in 1891 to supply water to the inhabitants of the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. It is the oldest surviving pump house in the Niagara Region. The original building contained a steam engine, water pumps and a boiler with a 75 ft. chimney.
In 1883 an electric light plant was located here which continued to operate until the 1920's. The pumping station continued to operate until 1984. In 1994 the Niagara Pumping Station was purchased by the town. Shortly afterwards the old building was restored and is now the home of the niagara Pumphouse Art Centre.